We Love Cooking! + turmeric

:: New Season Spiced Lamb with Simple Griddled Asparagus

I have to admit I am a little disappointed in the food culture of Sweden, but then again coming from Ireland where we are awash with small artisan producers I guess I have been a little bit spoiled for choice. When I first arrived here a few years ago, I was so impressed to see kids at school eating proper lunches and cafe's serving full on salads on their menus. However I have scraped a little beyond the surface and despite having very balanced diets and having a good sense of "eating well" it seems to me, many Swedes food options begin and end at the supermarket. There is that ominous feeling of large food machine in operation behind the scenes spewing out what the consumer demands. While in Ireland I certainly don't shop at farmers markets everyday but I do like the option to. If you are from Sweden and can point me in the direction of some good honest food not produced for the supermarket I'd love to hear about it- prove me wrong!

New Season Spiced Lamb with Simple Griddled Asparagus
Lamb is in season right now and if you are looking for something a little different try this spicy rub. Today's recipe is a bit of change up for the traditional lamb chop. While I love the simple and delicious flavours of lamb sometimes it's nice to mix things up and try something a little different, which is why I love this spicy rub. The spice rub also works well on other meats too so give it a go!

Serves 4
4 Irish spring lamb chops
½ tablespoon of cumin seeds
½ tablespoon of coriander seeds
1 teaspoon of chilli flakes
½ tablespoon of turmeric
1 teaspoon of paprika
A generous pinch of sea salt and ground black pepper

For the asparagus
1 large bunch of Asparagus (3-4 spears per person)
1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
A generous pinch of sea salt and ground black pepper

In a pestle and mortar grind together the cumin, coriander, chilli, turmeric, paprika until you have a really pungent orange coloured powder.
Place the lamb chops on a plate and sprinkle on the spice mixture, turn to coat.
Cook the spiced chops under a hot grill for about 2-3 minutes either side until cooked through.
While the lamb is cooking, snap off the woody end of the asparagus and toss the spears in a bowl with sea salt, black pepper and olive oil. Fry on a hot griddle pan until tender for about 3-4 minutes.
Serve the lamb and asparagus with some salad leaves and enjoy.

asparagus, chilli flakes, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, Food, lamb, paprika, spice, and more:

:: New Season Spiced Lamb with Simple Griddled Asparagus + turmeric