We Love Cooking! + star anise

:: Sticky Star Anise Honey Duck

When I was kid I was always in the kitchen cooking and once I'd worked through some of the basics I was introduced to Chinese cooking, after a visit to the Asian market in Dublin. With so many new and exciting ingredients to explore, I tried everything I could! If you want to try your hand at some Chinese dishes, it’s really important to make sure you pick up some store cupboard essentials. People laugh at me when I drag them around the Asian market pointing out all the exciting ingredients, but it is so much fun and a visit to your local market is well worth it. You can pick up ingredients for far cheaper, and in larger quanitities than in the regular supermarket. The one big purchase I have to suggest if you want to really experience true Chinese cooking at home, is a really good wok, there are so many out there, and it’s important to find one you are comfortable using, but carbon steel woks come well recommended.

Sticky Star Anise Honey Duck
One thing I love about Chinese cooking is the fantastic spices that are used, I remember first coming across star anise and thinking it was one of the coolest spices I had ever seen and that was before I had even tasted it! If you haven’t used it before, don’t be put off, it’s really easy to use, just bash it in a pestle and mortar until you have a fine aromatic powder. The combination of ingredients in this recipe makes a wonderfully sticky and delicious dish.

Serves 2
1 teaspoon of dark soy sauce
3 tablespoons of honey
1 teaspoon of rice wine
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 teaspoon of ground star anise
2 large duck breasts.

In a bowl, mix together the soy sauce, honey, rice wine, garlic and star anise.
Toss the duck breasts in the marinade until completely coated, cover and place in the fridge to marinade for at least 2 hours, or overnight if you have the time.
Place the duck on an oven tray and cook for about 25 minutes at 200oC/Gas Mark 6 or until cooked all the way through. Make sure to baste the breasts with the juices during the cooking time.
When the duck is cooked, place the tray under a hot grill to caramelise the duck skin for 1-2 minutes.
Cut into thin slices and serve with a drizzle of the juices.

chinese, duck, garlic, honey, rice, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, spice, and more:

:: Sticky Star Anise Honey Duck + star anise