We Love Cooking! + parmesan

:: Broad Bean Crostini

I made the decision after much talk, to finally learn how to grow my own vegetables this year. I've been pretty proud of my herb garden the last few years, so it was definitely time to make the plunge and become a real gardener! Unfortunately the last few months have been a bit crazy so I haven't had as much time to look after the garden as much as I would have wanted, but that hasn't stopped the veggies growing!

I never thought I would do it, but here it is my first recipe using my very own garden produce! I'm going to do a post with all the photos from my little vegetable over the last few months but for now, here is a recipe using one of the easiest vegetables I have had the pleasure of growing! Broad beans were definitely the most entertaining to watch growing from seed. They grow on a really sturdy stalk, and are fascinating to watch explode into giant, green torpedoes, perfect for picking!

Broad Bean Crostini
This is a perfect way to savour the fresh flavours of home grown broad beans. The thick broad bean paste can also be stirred through pasta for a tasty supper.

Serves 4
150g of shelled broad beans.
2-3 mint leaves.
½ clove of garlic.
3 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
A good handful of grated parmesan cheese.
A good pinch of sea salt and ground black pepper.
A few slices of toasted sourdough bread.

Place the broad beans in a pestle and mortar with the garlic, mint, sea salt and pepper.
Mash it all up until a thick paste forms.
Add the parmesan and a little olive oil to loosen the mixture, stir this through with a spoon.
Check the seasoning and then spread the broad bean mixture onto the toast.
Drizzle with a little extra olive oil, sprinkle with a little more parmesan and serve as a tasty little appetiser.

appetiser, bread, broad beans, garlic, mint, and more:

:: Broad Bean Crostini + parmesan